We like to post anything that's spooky, haunted, abandoned or fun.

Sunday, November 04, 2007


The asylum was built in 1873 and enlarged in 1879 to accommodate 2895 patients. Before becoming the hospital, it was the long-time residence of the Waring family. The house was built in 1869 by Cooper and Tullis of Preston, to the designs of Henry Littler for £338,000.

In the early days of the hospital, all supplies, including coal and provisions, had to be transported by horse and cart from Preston – a distance of 7 miles (11 km) – or from Longridge at the terminus of the Preston and Longridge Railway some 3½ miles (5.6 km) distant. The cartage was expensive; permanently staffed with a stud of horses and vehicles. In 1884, the significant costs of this operation prompted the authorities to consider building a railway between the hospital and the village of Grimsargh 2 miles (3.2 km) to the southeast.

The hospital itself was Known for its awful treatment of patients. In the 1960's it was found that some were being tied up, left in cupboards for hours at a time and even dragged around by their hair. There was also widespread fraud.

The hospital itself closed in the mid 1990's and is awaiting redevelopment.

For More info check out


No comments:

Custom Search